Mental illness is a mental health-related illness, which affects your mood, thinking ability and behavior.It is also a common disease like diabetes, heart disease.
Many people are depressed in their life.This sadness creates tension and mental anxiety in their life, which gradually becomes a mental illness . [Wikipedia]
1. Causes of Mental illness :
In general, mental illnesses are considered due to various types of genetic , environmental or personal factors .
2. Three Main Causes of Mental illness :
[a] Heredity :
Many mental illnesses are due to hereditary factors, that is, those whose family members suffer from mental illness are more likely to be mentally ill. The probability of getting the disease is transmitted through the genes. According to the expert many mental diseases are not related to the same but many disorders of genes . Mental illness is caused by the interaction of many genes and other factors – such as stress, misbehavior, or a tragic event – that can affect the disease in a person with genetic potential .
[b] Neurotransmitters :
There is a special chemical called neurotransmitters in the brain, which is a type of chemical messenger. This helps the pulse cells in the brain to communicate with each other. If these chemicals become unbalanced or do not work properly, the messages do not pass right from the brain, which can lead to mental illness.
[c] Brain Damage or Injury :
Diseases related to damages or injuries to certain areas of the brain have also been associated with some mental illnesses.
Other Causes :
- Lack of joy in life
- Relationship problem
- Conflicts in the family
- Social isolation
- Work load
- Mental stress
- Take extra doses of tobacco alcohol and other drugs
- Financial problem
- Weakened immune system
- Heart disease and other medical conditions
- Environmental conditions
3. Symptoms :
Symptoms of mental illness can vary on the basis of disorders, conditions and other factors.
- Feelings of sadness, tears, emptiness or frustration
- The absence of interest in the most common or pleasant activities and the continuous feeling of boredom
- Extreme fear or anxiety
- Trouble concentrating and making decisions.
- Feel guilty .
- Quick change of mind .
- Feeling lonely .
- Making distance from friends and family .
- Delusion , paranoia or hallucinations from reality .
- Like insomnia, either sleep problems or excessive sleepiness.
- Fatigue and lack of energy in small tasks .
- Changes in appetite – either less appetite and weight loss or excessive appetite and weight gain.
- Inability to cope with daily problems .
- Trouble understanding the situations .
- Addicted to alcohol or drug .
- Excessive anger .
- Violent attitude .
- Lack of efficiency in work and professional career .
- Suicidal thinking .
4. Risk Factors :
Some factors can increase your risk of developing mental health problems, including –
- If any of your relatives suffer from this disease, then you may also be victims of this disease.
- Chronic medical conditions like diabetes .
- Stressful life conditions , such as financial problems .
- Brain damage due to serious injury .
- Abuse or neglect of your own people at all times .
- Use of alcohol or drugs .
- Previous mental illness .